Lex Irwin has been fishing since he was 7 years old. He lives for fishing whether it is fishing socially or competitively. He loves all forms of fishing including estuary, off-shore, beach and impoundments. He’s fished across many areas in Queensland, NSW and Northern Territory.
He lives in Wellington Point – a bayside suburb of Brisbane on the doorstep of Moreton Bay and whenever the opportunity presents he will be out on the bay somewhere!
He retired from the Queensland Public Service in 2016 where he worked for 42 years. When he retired he was managing a spatial information work group specialising in mapping and aerial photography for the Department of Natural Resources and Mines.
He was a member of Oceanic Amateur Fishing Club for over 25 years. This club was affiliated with QAFCA and SQAFCA and while a member of this club he performed many office bearer duties culminating in being president for 15 years and club champion for 16 years. Notable achievements during this period were:
- Queensland State Offshore Champion -1991
- South Queensland Offshore Champion 2005
- South Queensland Lightgear Champion – 2002
For the past 10 years he has fished ABT bream, barramundi and flathead competitions and many other local bream competitions. He enjoys kayak fishing as well as fishing from his boat.
His most notable recent achievements have been:
- Winner – Round 8 Hobie Kayak Series on the Gold Coast 2016
- Winner – Masters Division Round 10 Hobie Kayak Series Gold Coast 2017
- Winner – Masters Division Round 9 Hobie Kayak Series Mooloolaba 2017
- Second – non-boater at the Ecogear Bribie Island Bream Qualifier in 2012
- KFT Australian Kayak Fishing Tournaments Champion 2014
- Runner-up KFT Australian Kayak fishing Tournaments Champion 2015